Thursday, February 18, 2010

DNA²

Name: DNA²
Type: Television Show
Episodes: 12
Rating: Any Age Able to Handle Underwear
Runtime Per Episode: 26 min
Director: Sakata Jun'ichi
Produced By Bandai and others
Year Produced: 1994

In the future, there is an overpopulation problem.  "Yeah, what else is new?" is probably what you're thinking right now, but fortunately, I have good news for you!  It's not your fault!
It's his fault!  That one in the middle, middle right, dammit!

His name is Momonari Junta, and he's your average high schooler... well not exactly, I mean, if he was, then what would be the point of an anime?  Has there ever been an anime with a truly normal character with normal, common surroundings?  If there has been one, then was it any good?
Actually, now that I think about it, Junta is about as far away from a normal guy as you could get without having a sex change and moving to another planet.

For a start, he reminds me of SSJ4 (and just what the hell does the "J" stand for?  Super Saiyan... what?!) Goku.

Junta
 
Goku

... that's okay, you don't have to see it.  I actually don't really see it just looking at it like this, but when you see the anime (if you want to), you'll see the DBZ... almost blatant ripoffs...

 
   
Junta also can't talk to girls.  At all.  And he really has trouble in more... intimate situations.

Cause and...
... Effect.  Note the chunks there.

Granted, that would be a rather awkward situation for anyone not used to it, but... damn.

Either way, you're probably still confused at how this... pathetic soul could be responsible for the overpopulation problem.  I mean, the dude can barely stand to look at a woman wearing a swimsuit, how could he possibly make one pregnant?

I'll tell you how!  When he gets shot by a time-traveling woman from the future, sent back in time to stop the "Mega Playboy" (that's supposed to be him, by the way)!  Major gear shift, yeah?  Well, I'm sorry, but I couldn't think of any better way to introduce it, so here I am.


Her name is Karin, and she's from the future... and she's got a crazy hairdoo, but then again, all of them do.  She also reminded me of something out of DBZ.  Probably because of the outfit.  It kind of reminds me of something that I saw in one of the shows.  In case you haven't figured it out yet, I haven't ever actually watched a whole episode of DBZ.

Anyway, she was sent back in time to prevent Junta from becoming the Mega Playboy by shooting him with a DNA bullet.



As far as I can figure this one, it's a new invention that ultimately destroys a DNA strand, or something along these lines.  But... wouldn't that kill you?  I'm not a geneticist, so I'll just go with it.

Only problem is that when she actually shoots him with it, he turns into the Mega Playboy (what a good name).  That's right.  Got the wrong bullet.  Now that she's turned the total pansy into the unstable Mega Playboy, Karin has to stay behind in the past to try and find a way to keep him from impregnating 100 women.

Character development was... practically non-existent.  A little harsh, but this wasn't the greatest anime that I've seen.  I like it over a couple of others, and it's funny enough to keep my interested (especially in the end), but the story and character personality and depth were kind of lacking.

As I understand it, this was adapted from a manga by Katsura Masakazu (who also did Video Girl AI.  I didn't read it (though I found it once and was planning on reading it, but I ultimately didn't)), but now I kind of wish that I had.  Then maybe I would have understood it better, or at least appreciated it more.  Maybe I'll read it now and try watching it again.

I've already said everything that I can about the art style, and that is that it really reminds me of DBZ.  But when you think about it, most animes in that time period had the same look to them.  I don't know if Toriyama Akira went with the flow of the age, or if the art style followed him, but there you go.

It had some classical moments in it, which were good.  I haven't seen a good sledgehammer in a long time.

BITE IT, ASSHOLE!

And I don't want you to think that this anime was without attractive qualities beyond the sledgehammer...

That was from the first episode... like, within the first five minutes!  Damn.

The Japanese version of this anime was pretty good.  I agreed with all of the character choices, and I especially liked Tominaga Miina who was Karin.  Then again, I liked Karin hands down.
The English version... don't bother with it.  I don't know how to explain it, but there's something about lip-syncing to Japanese words is really hard for English-speakers, even more so when you don't know what you're doing, which is most everybody (especially back then).

Decent intro and outro music, if you like slightly depressing songs (though the intro wasn't that slow).

Since I was kind of out of my depth for this anime, I don't really know what to say about it.  If you're not a big fan of the old/classic style of animation and drawing, you should probably move on, but if you prefer stuff from this age, then you might want to watch it.  I don't know if this is good or bad by the standards of the time in which it was produced (since I'm not a big fan of that style), so I can't tell you how good this is in comparison, so you'll just have to watch and figure it out for yourself, sorry.
I also don't know if you should read the manga and watch this anime, or if you should do only one, or if you should do neither.  All in all, I didn't consider watching this a waste of time, and it didn't give me an annoyance headache, so it was pretty good, just not outstanding.  Make you own decisions, I'm sick of being asked to do everything for you, dammit!
Coming up next!

Midori no Hibi!


Alert!
If you don't like spoilers, or still want to watch the movie now, you'd better stop reading!

Karin brought back the wrong bullet from the future, and now that Junta is all weird and stuff, she's made it her personal mission to either stop him from fully changing into the Mega Playboy, or at least keep him contained... or kill him.  Too bad she turns to jelly when he looks at her with those "dreamy" eyes (what's up with that, anyway?)

*Sparkle Sparkle*

Seems that the only one who isn't buying all the "playboy" crap is Junta's childhood friend; Kurimoto Ami...


...the only girl that Junta could ever talk normally to.

Okay, maybe just a little too normally.

In case you couldn't figure it out, Junta's not exactly the brightest bulb in the shop, and demonstrated by the following series of events.

Normally, you'd be at least a little suspicious when your eating companion does this...
And when they started to do this, you should start to understand that something's not right...
But if it gets to this, and you still hadn't even a tweak of uncertainty, then as far as I'm concerned, you deserve what's coming.

Junta has just one problem standing between him and a dream harem world (that he actually probably couldn't stand); the original Playboy; Ryuuji.

This guy.

After Junta inadvertently steals one of his many girlfriends; Tomoko, Ryuuji decides that she's the one he loves (the kind that wants what he doesn't have), so he goes insane with jealously and tries to win Tomoko back by normal sleaze methods, but to no avail.
Finally, he gets in the path of the real DNA bullet meant for Junta, and turns into...

 

... Batman.  Seriously.
Actually, Katsura Masakazu is a big fan of Batman apparently, so that explains that.

What, a Circus Clown?

Ryuuji lures Karin to his house to draw out his arch-rival; Joker... whoops, mistype!  Junta.

 
The Bat Mansion, that is.

During the epic last fight, Junta can't turn into the Mega Playboy, or else he won't be able to turn back.
That might be bad, but is it as bad as a...

Falcon...
PAWNCH!!
Well, is it?!

In the end, Ryuuji was beaten when Junta turned into the Mega Playboy because Ami told him to, but was able to turn back after Ami slapped him for being the Mega Playboy.  She is a tough chick to deal with.  Either way, Junta's... I dunno, chastity, was saved for the day, and he got together with Ami in the end, which kind of sucked as far as I was concerned.  I usually like girls with less chance of getting together with the main character better (in this case; Karin).

But never fear, because Karin doesn't go back in the end!  Well, she does, but is sent back to keep an eye on Junta, so harem route is still open, baby!  And I didn't want Karin to leave, so I'm happy.  The End.


No comments:

Post a Comment